Sunday, February 26, 2012

I Have Four Paintings Lined Up



Yes, I have four paintings lined up in the studio. I've been pouring on three of these pieces, so they've been drawn, the paper was stretched and dried and masking fluid applied to the paper, to protect my whites. I've poured staining paint onto prepared, moistened paper three to four times (in my white bathtub). I have to wait at least twenty four hours between pours. Once I'm satisfied with my "pours," I begin hand brushing paint. I try to keep this to a minimum, because I don't want to lose the gorgeous colorful washes that are created by pouring paint.

On one painting, you can clearly see the masking fluid and the staples stretching the paper along the top. This painting has been poured three times, with earth colors being incorporated in the last pour.

The other picture, which is further along, has been poured four times, with earth colors being used in the final pour. You can see where I've begun my brush work on top of the poured washes. I must remember to keep brush work to a minimum. I want to allow the viewer's eye to complete as much as possible.

I'll be presenting all new work at The Bridge Gallery in Shepherdstown, WV: the opening reception is Saturday, March 31.

No comments:

Post a Comment