Friday, August 17, 2012

What Defines a Professional Artist?

So, what constitutes a professional artist?  I’d like to open up a discussion on this topic.  I’ve been thinking about it a lot.

To me, a professional is someone who is attempting to make a living from what they do, and they file with all government entities to that purpose.  In other words, the artist is working as a “business,” and not as a hobbyist.  Of course, I’m not even considering the “quality” of the professional’s work.  I’m just saying….if you’re filing with the government as a business, then …. are you a professional?

What do you think?

Here’s a painting that I’m working on.  I have a solo exhibit coming up at ArtSquare in Leesburg, VA in November…..I’ll post little “tastes” of what I’m doing, but I’d like to respectfully invite you to come to the exhibit to see how my paintings turn out!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    I'm been thinking about your definition of "professional." I can't quite agree with it. I think it's too narrow.

    I understand the distinction you are drawing -- i.e. for pleasure rather than for a living, but the word "hobbyist" has too strong an association with "amateur." And "professional" is too closely connected with "quality."

    Perhaps another description would be better? Career artist? Working artist? Full-time artist? or Professional working artist?

    ReplyDelete