Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Watercolor in Progress


Progress is being made on the painting of the Christmas parade.....I've been working non stop on this piece for three days now.


I like to move all around a painting, but I definitely develop focal points first. I don't recommend this to anyone. It's just my style.

I advise students not to become too focused on one area. When students stay in one area too long, painting and painting, they tend to overwork that one section. This leads to frustration, which leads to more overpainting.

The issue is usually one of contrast. The values are well developed in the one area, making the rest of the painting appear weak when, in fact, if the student will move around the paper and paint "up to the values" in the adjacent areas, the work will usually pull together.

No comments:

Post a Comment