Saturday, July 28, 2012

Summer Florals: Hydrangeas Galore!

Painting has slowed down a bit, allowing me to sit on the porch an extra minute (or two) every day, enjoying the birdsong and my gardens.

Everything is in full bloom during this end of July:  hydrangeas of every color, black eyed Susan's, dianthus, liatris, gladiolas, shastas, clematis, cleome', and coreopsis. Just as lovely are the wide ranging greens in the garden this year.  One of my apples serves as a model in this painting.  In the vegetable garden are squash, zucchini, tomatoes, chard, beans, cucumbers and potatoes. 

I'm thoughtfully painting more slowly, trying to get the compositions right, in order to do these beauties justice.  I always try to sneak in one of my grandmother Helen's blue Mason jars from long ago, in homage to her, and women like her everywhere, who put in so many hours canning good foods for their families.

So, here's to women everywhere who work hard:  on the job, in the home, in their gardens and with their families.

1 comment: