Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Feed the Artist


I'm in Beaufort, NC, participating in a workshop and trying to keep the hungry artist well fed. Whenever I foray into the south, I like to enjoy the southern food. What else!

On my first day here, I found a barbeque place with all my favorites: pulled pork, pork chops, chicken, fried okra, gumbo, white beans, green beans, collard greens and... so much more. Lunch is less than $8.00 and includes a hefty portion of meat, two vegetables, a large slab of cornbread and fresh lemonade or tea.

Breakfasts at my B and B have been delightfully prepared by Henri, the owner of the establishment: the first day, I was presented with a "Croissant Patricia;" the second day included "tropical pancakes," a stack of light cakes with layers of bananas and coconut. My beautiful old antebellum "home" overlooks the Beaufort River, a harbor full of boats and old moss covered oak trees that were quiet sentinels during the Civil War.

Tonite, my last evening, was a celebration with Debo and Nancy, students from Georgia. We shared a gourmet meal at the reknown "Saltus" restaurant. I had the best shrimp and grits that I've ever had: light, flavorful, fresh and artfully presented. We discussed the problems and joys of artists, and the tremendous need to feed the artist, not only emotionally, but also nutritionally.

I do recommend Beaufort as a gustatorial haven for the hungry artiste!

No comments:

Post a Comment