Monday, September 20, 2010

Prince Edward Island and Anne of Green Gables


I’ve always wanted to see the Anne of Green Gables house on Prince Edward Island. I love the books and read them to my girls when they were young and we watched the movies together. The stories are wonderful, inspiring and amusing and the author really establishes a sense of place and community. I've been intrigued about what the island would really look like. Although the house is not the actual home of the fictional character, Anne, it is wonderfully restored and close to representing the home of the author’s aunt and uncle, who were a major influence in her life.

We crossed an 8 mile bridge to arrive on the island. The landscape is green, wild and rolling with lush fields and bright barns and houses of turquoise, red and corals. The surprisingly orange soil against the green fields, dotted by these brightly colored houses and barns makes for some luscious scenery and will, I hope, transfer into beautiful paintings.

1 comment:

  1. Even the internet is a small world. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon your blog and saw that you have a reception listed in Northern VA. I'm an artist living in Ashburn. I missed your reception, but Can't wait to see your paintings from Prince Edward Island. We lived in MA and NH in the 1980's and I still have such fond and scenic memories of New England - snow in Oct., maple sugar houses...

    ReplyDelete