Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mountain Maryland Plein Aire Competition May 30 & 31, 2012

During my first day painting in the Mountain Maryland Plein Aire Event, I decided to paint on Washington Street, up on a hill looking down at the town, the railroad tracks, the historic buildings, the local newspaper office, and the churches.    The weather was perfect, although a little hot, and I stayed out all day working.  The painting of the town "Washington Street," turned out very well, I think.

After finishing the urban scene, I decided to switch to a rural situation and I found a gorgeous little red barn along 220 South.  The barn had some lovely swinging lines, but my favorite thing about the scene had to be the little holes in the planks where you can see through to the other side.  Light was popping through those cracks, and I just had to paint it.

While I was in Cumberland, I was interviewed by a photographer and...I woke up this morning to my picture on the front page of the Cumberland Times-News.  What fun plein aire painting is!

I discovered that there's a lot to paint in Allegany and Garrett Counties.  I could work for several years before I'd feel satiated.


Tip for the day:  Be sure to set yourself up for comfort when you decide where to paint.  Find shade, bring food and water, and set up where you can easily find bathroom facilities or anything else you might need.

No comments:

Post a Comment